Hypnotherapy is a type of alternative treatment that many people swear by in that it helps them to overcome problems that they may be having. In this article, well examine the history of the use of hypnotism for medical treatment in order to increase your knowledge about where the practice came from and where it is going.
– While not considered hypnotherapy per se, individuals in ancient Greece and Rome often had mysterious religions that invoked the use of some of the same techniques as modern-day hypnotherapy.
– A man named Franz Anton Mesmer wrote in the early 1900s about a process known as mesmerism. While it was not hypnotherapy as we know it today, it focused on animal magnetism and unconscious forces that guide behavior.
– Hypnotism was pioneered in the 1840s by a man named James Braid. He was a physician from Scotland who discovered that psychological mechanisms could be altered through the use of hypnosis and hoped to work towards a working knowledge of how hypnosis can help an individual to overcome their problems.
– One famous man who found that hypnotherapy could be helpful to his daily work was the father of psychoanalysis, Dr. Sigmund Freud. He touted the benefits of hypnotherapy for years, translating hypnotherapy texts into German when he had the opportunity. He eventually abandoned hypnotherapy in the pursuits of his free association technique that he became famous for.
– Hypnotism was then further brought into the public eye by a man named Ambroise-Auguste Liebault. His assistant Emile Coue eventually pioneered a type of hypnotherapy known as conscious autosuggestion which followed many of the same concepts that were brought forth in hypnotism.
– During the 1960s, a resurgence in hypnotherapy was brought forth by a man by the name of Milton H. Erickson. He worked to advance the public knowledge of hypnotherapy, writing several different texts regarding the practice. He laid down the foundations for what would become known as Ericksonian hypnotherapy, a procedure that employed novel techniques when it came to hypnotherapy. The theories that he laid down would eventually become the foundations of a science known as neuro-linguistic programming which is now largely studied by those in business and other fields of influence.
What you have just read describes some of the individuals that have been helpful when it comes to advancing human knowledge of hypnotherapy. Numerous studies have been conducted in order to discover whether or not the benefits that hypnotherapy offer are indeed a sufficient means for overcoming problems, and they have shown that there is indeed unique benefit offered by hypnotherapy.
If you are experiencing some sort of problem in your life that relates to the way that your mind processes things, you may want to consider hypnotherapy as an option to help you to get rid of the problem. We continue to learn more and more about hypnotherapy by the day. It can only become more of a useful practice in the years to come, and the more people who know about it and its history, the better.