Consider all the fresh fruits you may not have tried yet:
• Apples (there is an almost infinite variety of these, some quite rare. Try the following varieties:
• Akane, Arlet, Blushing Golden, Braeburn, Centennial Crab, Chieftain, Cortland, Empire, Empress, Fuji, Gala, Honey Crisp, Jonagold, Kandil Sinap, Liberty, Mantet, Mcintosh, Mutsu,
• Northern Spy, Patricia, Red Astrachan, Red Secor, Russet, Starr, Virginia Gold, Yataka, Yellow Transparent, Wilson Juicy, and the many others available at your grocery store and farmer’s market)
• Bananas (try Fruit Bananas, Apple Bananas, Baby Bananas, Baking Bananas, Red bananas, and others)
• Berries (besides the usual strawberries and raspberries, there are dewberries, boysenberries, loganberries, cloudberries, wineberries, bearberries, bilberries, blueberries, cranberries, huckleberries, lingonberries, barberries, currants, elderberries, gooseberries, nannyberries, sea grapes, crowberries, and others)
• Cherries (from sour cherries, Monmorency cherries, and sweet cherries such as Black Russians, Chinooks, Lapins, Hedelfingers, and others)
• Grapes (there are many, many kinds, ranging from pale greens to very deep purples)
• Lemons and Limes
• Lychee fruits
• Melons (Red water, Canary, Canteloupe, Cassava, Honeydew, Watermelon, and others)
• Passion Fruits
• Peaches (including Encore, Reliance, Red Haven, and Sensation Dwarf Peach, among others)
• Pears (including Asian pears, Beirschmidt, Bartlett, and others)
• Plums (including Mt. Royal Plum, Opal, Stanley Prune_Plum, Unize Plum, Dietz, Empress Prune_Plum, Starking Delicious Plum, and many others)
• Star Fruit
• Ugli Fruits
Are there fruits and vegetables on this list that you have not tried? There likely are. The fact is, most of us have tried only a small fraction of the fruits and vegetables that are out there. When we say that we “don’t like” fruits and vegetables or when we say that we “grow tired” of them, what we are really saying is that we do not have enough variety of fresh fruits and vegetables in our diet.
Look back over the list of fruits and vegetables – treat it like a checklist of the food adventures you could have with food. Which foods sound exotic or interesting? Take a chance today and pick up some fresh fruits or vegetables that you have never tried before. Your taste buds and your cholesterol level will thank you for it.
Realize that these lists of fruits and vegetables is far from complete – it is only a way to get you started in discovering new fruits and vegetables. Make it a mission to find new and exciting fruits and vegetables that you can enjoy fresh to lower your cholesterol.
The secret to low-fat eating is to make eating the right foods as attractive as possible. When you have many types of healthy and delicious foods to choose from, you will naturally choose foods that are good for you and for your heart. Introducing a huge variety of fresh fruits and vegetables into your diet is one sure way to do this.
Over the next 30 days, use this list of fruits and vegetables. Print the list and circle all the fruits and vegetables you have not tried. Make it a mission to buy some fresh fruits and vegetables you have not tried.
In fact, every week, find a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables you have not tried and try them. Read about new varieties of fruits and vegetables and try them as well. This will add variety to your diet and make it much easier to eat plenty of the foods you need to lower your cholesterol and stay healthy.